Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Bead Fest Wrap Up: Part 1

I am back from Bead Fest Spring with plenty of new treasures! Besides shopping, I also took two really great classes. First up was Steel Wire Warm Up with Brenda Schweder.


Brenda taught us about the characteristics of steel wire, how to work with it and finish it (so it doesn't rust). She also showed us a variety of stunning pieces she created with various gauges. The workshop inspired me and has me eager to try out this wonderful and inexpensive wire. Can't wait to get my hands dirty! If you are interested in working with steel wire, check out her book Steel Wire Jewelry.

On Saturday evening I took a class titled Textured Copper Cuffs with Eva Sherman, owner of Grand River Beads. Eva showed us how to anneal copper with a torch, texture it, form it and rivet it. She also brought in some gorgeous cuffs that she created, wetting our appetites.


She then set us loose to create two-three cuffs of our own. It didn't take me long to get over my torch phobia either! Here is what I created...




Both Eva and Brenda were fantastic instructors! I really enjoyed each class and my newly acquired knowledge. Can't wait to create! By the way, both classes will be offered at Bead Fest in August!

My treasures from Bead Fest will be posted next week...stay tuned for some gorgeous beads and findings!



4 comments:

  1. Your cuff bracelets are beautiful, you have great texture, dimension and I love that there are 3 different widths to choose from. 'must have been a great class.
    I am looking forward to the August Beadfest. 'looking forward to seeing your treasures next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made beautiful things! I'm interested in the steel wire -- I can't seem to figure out how to keep the groddy black from rubbing off on things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathleen, I'm sorry I missed you at Bead Fest! We'll have to coordinate better next time (although I doubt I can make it in August). I hope to see you in September at artBLISS though!
    Your classes look amazing. I especially LOVE the cuffs you made with Eva! I love her work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathleen, I'm so glad you got one of my hearts! It's nice to know they were well received by the students. I'm looking forward to seeing you in August! Stop by my booth and we'll chat it up!

    ReplyDelete